Woman fights for new wheels 

StaceyJesson is finding it difficult to live in Port Pirie with a disability after four months of waiting to get the wheels on her electric wheelchair replaced.
Nanjing Night Net

What began as a simple phone call to let Disability SA know that it needed to be repaired turned into a four month fiasco for Ms Jesson.

The wheelchair bound Ms Jesson who suffers from Post-polio syndrome, 51, rang Disability SA in early February when she noticed her wheels starting to bald.

Ms Jesson said after contacting Disability SA multiple times she still has not received any indication as to when the chair will be fixed.

“I feel forgotten,” Ms Jesson said.

“I’m very independent and it sort of takes that away from me.”

For Ms Jesson it’s important that services are improved in our area.

“I want the service to be better in regional South Australia,” she said.

Liberal candidate for Frome Kendall Jackson has made a concerted effort to assist Ms Jesson in any way possible.

“I find it really sad,” Mrs Jackson said.

“Disabled people have enough to deal with without facing hurdles like these.”

Mrs Jackson said statistics at the end of February stated there were 4,000 disabled people in South Australia with unmet needs.

“It would be very interesting to know how many are in regional South Australia,” she said.

Mrs Jackson seemed astonished that it had been over four months without a result.

“Something as simple as new wheels… Seriously?” she said.

Mrs Jackson was puzzled when she placed a call to Disability SA on Ms Jesson’s behalf and was told that a work order had been created but the job had been completed.

She has said she will write to the disability minister Tony Piccolo about Ms Jesson’s case.

“It’s helping to solve issues like this that inspire me to become a local member of parliament,” Mrs Jackson said.

Ms Jesson appeared pleased that Mrs Jackson had given her time to assist her.

Stacey Jesson, left, and Liberal candidate for Frome Kendall Jackson.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

‘Heinous’ decision: man who stabbed boxing champion jailed for manslaughter

Killed: John Marceta. John Marceta
Nanjing Night Net

Knowing that the man who had just kicked in his front door was a boxing champion, Craig Charles Pitts made the “heinous” decision to pick up a kitchen knife.

Pitts then followed John Marceta, who had been trying to buy pot, down the hallway, and they fought on the 14th storey of a Redfern housing commission apartment block.

The 29-year-old stabbed Mr Marceta in the chest, piercing his heart.

Mr Marceta, who won the Australian super-middleweight title in 1993 and was once a world-rated boxer, staggered towards the lifts and collapsed.

Pitts argued he was defending himself from Mr Marceta on that day in August 2011. He was found guilty of manslaughter after a trial last year.

In the NSW Supreme Court on Thursday, Justice Christine Adamson sentenced Pitts to at least seven-and-a-half years’ jail, making a finding of manslaughter by excessive self-defence.

“The offender assessed correctly that the deceased was in significantly better physical condition than he was,” Justice Adamson said.

“In a heinous and misguided attempt to redress the physical discrepancy between them, he armed himself with a knife before confronting the deceased in the corridor outside his unit.”

The court heard Mr Marceta and another man had tried to buy cannabis from Pitts several times that day, but he told them to come back later.

The men returned to Pitts’ unit, where one of his relatives again asked them to return another time, before Mr Marceta suddenly kicked in the door.

Pitts yelled out “Why did you kick my front door in?” and followed the men down the hall holding the knife.

After the stabbing, Pitts went back to his unit “in a state of shock and dismay”, Justice Adamson said.

The judge said it was possible Pitts thought his actions were necessary to protect himself and his relatives in the unit.

“I am satisfied that the offender’s conduct was not a reasonable response in the circumstances as he perceived them to be because his act of stabbing the deceased was excessive.”

She said Pitts did not have any animosity with the men, but nevertheless intended to hurt Mr Marceta.

“The offender misjudged the threat which the deceased posed to him and his family. By resorting to violence with a dangerous weapon he overreacted, with disastrous and irreversible consequences.”

The judge set a maximum term of 10 years, and with time already served, Pitts’ earliest release date is March 2020.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Make-A-Wish fun run draws crowd

The Make-A-Wish Fun Run/Walk Sunday was an “unbelievable day” according to president Rosa-Lee Pisani.
Nanjing Night Net

Mrs Pisani said the weather was perfect and the turnout was sensational.

The event raised over $5,000 for the Make-A Wish Port Pirie branch.

More people than ever beforetook part in the event.

Mrs Pisani said there was a real adrenaline rush amongst participants.

“For them to come out to support Make-A-Wish and see what we are about was heart warming,” she said.

The age of participants ranged from three years old to 73.

There were two starting lines, with the 11km distance starting from Napperby and the 5km distance beginning from the dirt circuit track.

Runners and walkers completed their journey at Sportscene.

“The amount of cars down Main Road was huge,” Mrs Pisani said.

“You just could not get a park. “There were many more spectators than other years.”

The first runner over the line was Evan Garnaut, who did the marathon from Clare to Port Pirie over three days, last year.

“It was just the most wonderful feeling to see him cross the line,” Mrs Pisani said.

“He beat his time from last year.”

The participants ranged from people just doing the event for fun, to serious runners.

Mrs Pisani said there were 250 people who took part in the Fun Run/Walk.

There was also a seven-year-old boy riding a bike.

The proceeds raised will go towards granting wishes for children with a life-threatening medical condition to enrich their lives with hope, strength and joy.

“We have three wishes on the books at the moment for the Pirie branch this year,” Mrs Pisani said.

“We are absolutely wrapped to know these kids will have their wishes come true this year.”

“It’s just beautiful.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Childcare places stable

Childcare places in Eden will not change under new legislation covering after school and school holiday care, however program and centre managers say preparations have been both time consuming and expensive.
Nanjing Night Net

Dr Sheralyn Campbell, council’s director of children’s services said the services most affected by the new legislation were those that catered for school age children.

She said unlike early childhood services, the services for older children had not been regulated in this way before and now must follow strict procedures when it comes to premises and staff, children’s health and safety, physical environment and records.

“Children’s services have always been regulated in New South Wales. The services most affected are those that are for school age children,” she said.

“But for the last two years we have been making that transition, and we’ve been training and improving staff ratios too.”

Dr Sheralyn runs the Eden Child Care Centre which earned a high quality rating of almost 100 per cent from the National Childcare Accreditation Council in 2010.

She believes the changes would be beneficial for the industry and for children.

“It will benefit the industry and everybody speaks highly of its intentions,” she said.

“It ensures the care and protection of our children is of the highest standard.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Wilderness AND Oyster Coast: The Far South Coast adds another  

Clyde River oyster growers Ben Ralston and Jimmy Yiannaros, NSW Primary Industries Minister Katrina Hodgkinson, Australia’s Oyster Coast Executive Officer Andrew Wales and Member for Bega Andrew Constance at the launch of Australia’s Oyster Coast at Narooma Oyster Festival on Saturday. Oysters from the eight major estuaries between the Shoalhaven and the Victorian border will be marketed under the brand ‘Australia’s Oyster Coast’, following the brand’s launch at Narooma Oyster Festival on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

NSW Primary Industries Minister Katrina Hodgkinson praised south coast oyster growers’ foresight in working together on this marketing initiative.

“Oysters marketed under this brand will identify them as gourmet products grown in the most environmentally sustainable oyster region in the world,” Minister Hodgkinson said, launching the new brand.

It follows seven years work by growers implementing rigorous environmental management systems in each estuary, with assistance from the Southern River Catchment Management Authority and OceanWatch Australia and Federal and State funding.

Oyster shucking at the Narooma Oyster Festival at the weekend.

Oyster Festival spokesperson Cath Peachey said the potential is exciting with Australia’s Oyster Coast becoming a tourist destination with international and domestic visitors following the ‘oyster trail’ along the coast.

“This initiative complements everything the Oyster Festival is trying to achieve, and that is showcasing the south coast’s top quality produce and culinary and artistic talents particularly to visitors from outside the region,” she said.

Narooma Oyster Festival Manager Garry Ebbeling said oyster growers from every south coast estuary were at the festival on Saturday, signifying that the Festival “is moving to a new level”.

Feedback on the weekend’s Festival has been “hugely positive”. “It attracted many visitors from Canberra and outside the region who’ve been raving it,” he said.

“Many people said it was the best ever, which is a great compliment to the whole management team and all the volunteers who helped make it happen.

“I welcome all constructive comments, our idea being to make next year’s even better.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Man charged over South Penrith home invasion

Police have charged a man in relation to a home invasion in South Penrith earlier this week.
Nanjing Night Net

About 8.30pm on Tuesday, May 7, a number of people armed with a knife forced their way inside a unit on Penrose Crescent.

They allegedly made threats towards the adult occupants, before stealing a number of items including mobile phones, wallets and home entertainment appliances.

Nobody was injured in the incident and police from Penrith Local Area Command established a crime scene.

Following their investigations, an 18-year-old man was arrested at Penrith railway station just before 2pm yesterday (Wednesday, May 8).

The man was allegedly in possession of some of the stolen property.

He was taken to Penrith Police Station and charged with aggravated break, enter and steal and will appear at Penrith Local Court later today.

Police are still searching for two other people allegedly involved in the incident.

Anyone with information about this incident should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the online reporting page:https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Groovin says goodbye to Urthboy

URTHBOY has pulled out of performing atGroovin the Moo festival in Bunbury this weekend, leaving rapper Allday to takehis spot.
Nanjing Night Net

After putting on a show for the past fourGTM events, Urthboy has asked for time off to focus on his family.

The Sydney hip-hop artist, whose real name is Tim Levinson, was quoted on the officialGroovin the Moo Facebook page earlier today.

“It brings megreat displeasure to announce I won’t be playing at Groovin’ the Moo thisSaturday,” he said.

“My wife is having a baby and I’ll be by herside. I happily give my life to music but not this time.

“I’m so sorry to the legends that were lookingforward to seeing us, I shall try and make it up toyou.”

His replacement, 21-year-old Melbourne-based rapper Allday will enjoyhis debut GTM appearance and most likely feature his recently-released EP,Loners Are Cool.

Groovin the Moo will be held this Saturday at Hay Park, Bunbury.

Margaret River local DJ Boston Switch is one of the artists performing. Read about him here.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Whale Festival banks on council’s good news 

The countdown to the 2013 Eden Whale Festival has begun and organisers are thrilled to announce a $15,000 funding boost from the Bega Valley Shire Council.
Nanjing Night Net

See what the festivalis all about here

Festival chairman Gordon Beattie says this is great support for building a sustainable festival, following the news late last year that the Whale Festival had successfully bid for $20,000 for three years from Tourism NSW to promote the festival outside the region as a Regional Flagship Event.

“The Bega Valley Shire Council is coming on board as a principle sponsor for infrastructure for the 2013 festival. They are contributing $15,000 towards marquees, insurance and all the things that go to make the festival happen at Snug Cove,” Mr Beattie said.

“Our promotional marketing plan will to go into action in June as will our new web site,” Mr Beattie added.

“The working groups have had their thinking caps on and intends to program the Festival over two weekends, October 26 and 27 and the first weekend in November.

“This is building on what already happens with the Eden Open Gardens, exhibitions and social events on the first weekend and the climax of activities on the second with a variety of different events and talks during the week between.”

A particular need for the current committee is to find someone or a group who can help with organising site logistics for the Whale Festival week.

“In the past this has been left up to couple of individuals and it has got a bit much for any one individual to manage. It really does need a team with good organizational skills and we need to find this in the community,” Mr Beattie said.

Interested? Contact the festival committee by email [email protected]南京夜网.au or call 0459 237 269.

The next general meeting of the committee will be on Wednesday, May 22, commencing at 5.30pm at the Eden Fishermen’s Club.

The parade is highlight for many festival goers.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Tried it

Hoop dance class
Nanjing Night Net

Puzzle Dust Circus, East Kew Uniting Church, 142 Normanby Road

Wednesdays 7.30pm-8.30pm.

Cost: $125 for six weeks or $25 per casual class

You might have thought hoops were a modern invention, but Egyptian tomb drawings from 1000BC show people playing with them. In 14th century England they were all the rage until doctors blamed them for heart attacks and back problems. Then in 1957, an Aussie children’s wooden hoop inspired the bright plastic hoops California company Wham-O began to manufacture. I hooped as a youngster but spent more time chasing after my hoop than spinning it. This time I am determined to master the swirl. At the hoop dance class we form a human hoop and follow instructor Kirsty Vis as she takes us through a warm-up to stretch and twist. The music is loud and pumping a heavy bassline – perfect for the fast-paced workout. We break into two groups – beginner and intermediate – and Vis splits her time between each group setting us bite-sized tasks to practice. She returns to check our progress often and gives us tips to improve technique.

The verdict

When the hour is up, I just want to keep spinning. Gyrating in a church hall might be an unusual way to learn a new skill and keep fit – hooping for an hour burns around 700 calories – but I am hooked.

Supplied

AUDIO: Morrow joke ‘misinterpreted as racist’

David Morrow said he was referencing a 17-year-old conversation he had with an Atlanta police officer when he made the remarks which led to claims of racism and resulted in the veteran ABC caller being stood down by the broadcaster.
Nanjing Night Net

Morrow, who has been suspended pending a full investigation into the comments he made before Monday night’s match between St George Illawarra and Manly, said he was ”embarrassed and ashamed” over the remarks, which went to air in the Wollongong area by mistake.

Morrow apologised and said he was distressed his remarks had been ”misinterpreted as racist against indigenous Australians”.

READ: David Morrow’s statement

”It’s with a great deal of remorse and contrition that I am writing this apology,” Morrow said. ”I am very embarrassed and ashamed I have offended some people with my words on Monday night. I am extremely distressed that my remarks, which were accidentally heard on air, have been reported and misinterpreted as racist against indigenous Australians, and possibly offensive to Darwin citizens. I know it is no excuse but I clearly didn’t know we were on air.

“I know it is no excuse but I clearly didn’t know we were on air. We were miked up in the broadcasting booth at Kogarah Oval and were not due to go on air until 7pm.

“Unfortunately at 6.59pm the ABC station based in Wollongong crossed to the ground and without our knowledge started broadcasting what we were saying. We weren’t told the broadcast would start at 1 minute to 7 instead of the normal 7 o’clock sharp.”

Morrow said his comments were made in reference to a conversation he had in Atlanta, Georgia, with a police officer who was part of his security escort during the 1996 Olympics. The officer warned Morrow and his colleagues about the risk of walking through a dark area with few working street lights, according to the commentator.

”He had a deep southern accent and what he said was ‘Dats da only way you can tell when there’s anyone there, it’s when dey smile,’ ” Morrow said. ”The Atlanta policeman was obviously saying this because of his concerns for our safety if we ventured south of a certain street due to the bad lighting and high crime rate. His message was if you went there, you wouldn’t know you’ve got company until you see the smile, and by then it’ll be too late.

”So when Shannon [Byrne, the sideline eye, from Darwin] joked that sometimes the street lights don’t go on in Darwin, it quickly brought to mind what the Atlanta police officer had said. At no time did I set out to offend anyone. I have worked with, and among, a variety of people from many races and cultures and I have never been accused of offensive behaviour. I have been broadcasting for almost 42 years without a blemish.”

NSW Deputy Opposition Leader and acting chairwoman of the Rugby League Indigenous Council Linda Burney said: ”Whether he was on air or off air, whether it was a joke or not, the comments are totally unacceptable.”

Suspended … David Morrow.

Burney said Morrow’s words had ”the potential to undermine the really significant work that’s been done throughout the game in terms of the involvement and recognition of Aboriginal community, culture, history and participation.”

After Morrow’s apology, an ABC spokeswoman said: ”The statement released by David Morrow today regarding recent on-air comments was not seen by the ABC before its release and was made in a personal capacity. The matter is under investigation.”

smh南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.